Acetaldehyde - the Amalgam Link

What is acetaldehyde ?

Acetaldehyde, also known as ethanal, is an organic chemical compound. It is an aldehyde that is more toxic than ethanol and is responsible for many hangover symptoms in alcohol drinkers. So it is usually associated with alcohol toxicity.

What does it have to do with the oral cavity ?

Apart from the fact that alcohol is usually taken as a drink. Acetaldehyde is also a toxin associated with the mycelial fungal form of Candida Albicans which is associated with inflammatory bowel disease, gut dysbiosis, leaky gut and nutrients malabsorption. Candida Albicans is quite resistant to the effects of mercury, which is a bactericidal metal. In individuals with amalgams, there is an increase risk of developing a gut dysbiosis, an imbalance in the microbial flora of the gut characterized by an overgrowth of Candida Albicans in it's mycelial fungal form.

This gut flora imbalance has many implications including an increase in acetaldehyde in the body. Acetaldehyde can affect the metabolic, neurological, endocrine and immune systems of the body. Acetaldehyde may directly inhibit the osteoblastogenic potential of the bone marrow, and this effect may contribute to decreased bone formation and osteoporosis. Acetaldehyde can also cause damage to the liver which is usually proportional to the level and length of exposure.

Thus acetaldehyde has the potential to impair detoxification and bone repair thereby impacting issues like oral osteoporosis, heavy metal toxicity and microbial toxicity related to oral infections such as gum diseases, dental and jawbone infections.

IDM Ltd. All rights reserved